South Dakota Bandmasters Scholarship
The South Dakota Bandmasters Association sponsors a scholarship program for freshman, sophomore, and junior instrumental music education majors. The SDBA awards two $500 scholarships annually. Please review the eligibility requirements listed below.
Note: Applicants should apply online. Recordings should be submitted in .mp3 format.
- Applicant must be a freshman, sophomore or junior instrumental education major at a South Dakota College or University, with a career goal of being a band director.
- Applicant must have the written recommendation of his/her college band director.
- Priority will be given to those students who have not previously received the scholarship.
- Applicant must submit an audio recording of a solo, with or without accompaniment. The media used may be either a compact disk or, if emailed, an electronic file in .wav format
- Applicant must submit a completed scholarship application form, with a written recommendation by applicant’s college band director.
- Applicant must submit a written essay of not less than 300 words on the following topic: What has influenced me to become a band director?
- All recordings and essays will be screened by a committee consisting of an SDBA board member and 4 active members of SDBA.
- None of these committee members will have had any of the applicants as students, past or present.
- The scholarship winners will be announced at the SD Intercollegiate Band concert.
- Scholarship moneys will be sent to the winners at the beginning of the Fall Semester after the college director/instructor verifies fall enrollment with the SDBA Secretary-Treasurer.